Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Adventure Begins Anew!

Just when you thought it was safe to...

No.

He's BAAAAaaaaaaa...

No.

Just can't find a cliche that feels right tonight.

So...yeah.  I'm blogging again.

Again?  Who the hell IS this guy, you ask?  Good point.  You MAY be one of the people who followed my old blog, Michael O'Blogger, back when I was still doing it.  Or you're a complete - but lovely, I'm sure - stranger, and we're meeting for the first time.  I'm glad you're here.  First blog entries are very lonely.

My name is Michael O'Connell.  At this point in my life, I'm a stand-up (hold that thought) comedian living in Sacramento, CA.  I also have Muscular Dystrophy and am in a wheelchair (get that stand-up joke now?).  And I've been that way for quite some time.  The Dystrophy part, I mean.  I've had it my whole life, but only went into the wheelchair full time around 1995.  Comedy, I haven't been doing for quite as long, but I'm in my third year of it, and it's much more fun than Muscular Dystrophy.  If I had to choose between the two, I'd be hard pressed not to lean towards the one with the microphone.  The good news is that I DON'T have to choose, so I get to do lots of awesome wheelchair jokes.  Those are cool because it's much harder for other comedians to steal them.  That would just be really confusing for the audience.

But I'm not here to talk strictly about comedy.  I have a blog for that over at www.michaelocomedy.com.  But I wanted to try getting back to writing about other stuff, too, which is the reason why I felt I needed to create a new blog.  I have my old one, sure.  But a lot of things have changed in my life since I (inadvertently) left that one behind.  It just felt like a fresh start was in order.  Hence, this new blog.

I'm not really sure why my regular blogging stopped over two years ago.  Well, I guess I can mostly figure it out.  My life took off in a whole new direction when I (really unexpectedly) began a comedy career.  That led to a bunch of new writing responsibilities.  Comedy is a full-time marketing job.  I've got a couple of Facebook pages to keep up with, the Twitter, the Tumblr, the blog, the email newsletter, and so on.  There just wasn't as much time to write about my non-comedy life.  Plus, like a lot of bloggers, I started getting my urges for self-expression and disclosure out with Tweeting and Facebooking, both of which take a lot less time and commitment.  I got lazy.  My blog languished.

So now I'm trying to get back into more regular writing, and I wanted to get blogging back into my life.  I figured this new one would provide the right kick in the pants.  So here I am, setting it up and writing the first post at almost 3:00 AM when I should be sleeping (or working on more pressing writing).  But I just got this now-or-never rush and did it.  Feels good.  I like the boss-looking logo I made for it, too.

As so much of what I do revolves around comedy, I'm sure I'll still be talking about that here, but with a little more behind-the-scenes than you'll probably see in my comedian blog.  I'll talk about stuff in my head.  And stuff going on in my life...which, currently, due to some health issues, isn't much.  I'm home a LOT.  Which means I really have fewer excuses to avoid writing.  If it's like the old days, I'll do movie reviews and TV show reviews and talk about my pain-the-thine-arse neighbors.  I'll try to be interesting.  I'll try to be entertaining.  All I promise is that whatever I say, I'm probably going to use a lot of words to do it.  This (wait for it...wait for it...) is how I roll.

So welcome to you, or welcome back if you're an old-school Michael O'Blogger reader.  Right now I need to take a buttload of medications and consider sleep.  I shall return.  That, or this will be the only entry I ever put in this thing, and I've wasted a perfectly bitchin' logo.  Sleep well and wake happy, Internet peoples.


3 comments:

  1. First blog follower! Oh yeah, oh yeah! (Hmm...where have I heard the how you roll bit before?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, I am glad to see you back writing as well. I always enjoy hearing what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're blogging again Mike. Hope you start feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete